Nothing beats cooling down on a hot summer’s day with an ice block. So to celebrate this summer’s arrival, we have created a delicious recipe the whole family will enjoy, just make a few extra as they’ll be popular!
TASTE OF CATER CARE FACT
Homemade ice blocks are not only easy to make but lots of fun, especially when you get kids involved!
Our retro recipe combines old-fashioned lemonade with fresh raspberries and is perfect to serve as a casual dessert or just a refreshing ‘cool down’ treat on a hot summer’s day. To make the recipe, you will need to buy 1 or 2 reusable ice block moulds; these are inexpensive and available at most kitchen or homeware shops in a variety of shapes.
- 200ml Cold Water
- 200gm Caster Sugar
- 190ml Lemon Juice
- 560ml Soda Water
- To taste – Caster Sugar
- 18 Fresh Raspberries
- Over a moderate heat in a saucepan, add the cold water and the first quantity of caster sugar, then bring it up to a gentle simmer while stirring continuously to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stand to one side and allow the sugar syrup to cool to room temperature in the saucepan.
- Once the sugar syrup has cooled to room temperature, add the lemon juice and soda water and mix to combine. Then taste the homemade lemonade and if desired add and mix in a little more caster sugar, ensuring it has fully dissolved.
- Into each ice block mould, carefully place 3 raspberries.
- Fill each ice block mould with lemonade, then attach each mould’s base. Place ice block mould standing up into a freezer for 8 hours or until completely frozen.
Remove the ice block moulds from the freezer. Allow to stand for 1 minute, then gently remove each ice block from its mould and serve immediately.